In 1975 Helmut Newton's iconic photo of Yves Saint Laurent's Le Smoking Jacket was published in French Vogue. The androgynous look was the definition of boy meets girl and the resurgence of this fall 2011 trend is just that. A perfect relaxed mix of tailored masculinity and textural femininity.
Strongly influenced by the 70's there are few rules to today's Tuxedo trend . On the runway we are seeing it done in black and white, but Tom Ford has used a sexy mix of crimson and black giving the trend even more dimension and depth. This is an easy trend to replicate in real life and I am sure you have many pieces in your wardrobe already to create this look. The bow tie is back in a big way, and it's an easy way to update any classic white shirt for the Fall fashion.
Jason Wu, Alexander Wang, Ralph Lauren, stella mccartney, donna karan, narciso rodriguez
Janelle Monae might be the poster child for the new tuxedo trend. Her signature look is a perfect example of the modern mix of androgyny . Kate Moss also does a fabulous job of making this trend wearable for day and extremely casual. By mixing a tuxedo jacket with just about anything suddenly a t-shirt and skinny jeans becomes Tuxedo Trendy.
Here are 5 Tips to wearing the Tuxedo Trend.
Visit our Facebook page for more images.
1. Play with pants. High-waisted, flared, and skinny anything goes here. Tailoring is key as well as texture. Try some satin shine, a wooly blend or throw in another trend for Fall, leather. Just make sure whatever style you choose flatters your figure and fits immaculately. Tailored, tailored, tailored.
2. Fabrics. Don't just stick to the obvious cotton white collared blouse. Here we want to see sheer, silk and lace. Play with texture or for a super sexy look go sans shirt with just a low cut jacket. Zexy!
3. Add one Tuxedo piece. Instead of trying for an entire tuxedo outfit just add one piece. Like a cummerbund with wide leg trousers, a bow-tie with a sleeveless collared shirt, a tuxedo shirt with a skater skirt or a tuxedo jacket with anything, or nothing ; ).
4. Head to toe continuity. For a more formal take try a different approach like the cream jacket shirt and pants like the photo above or all crimson like Tom Ford has done.
5. Brogues. Leather brogues are the perfect practical shoe to add some androgyny to any of the above combinations.
Do you have some ideas for Tuxedo Dressing? Let us know in the comment section and if you find some fabulous photos post them on our Facebook page. We will Tweet the best ones. : )
Please share this article and we would love love love for you to "like" our Facebook and Twitter pages.
Photo Credits: harpersbazaar.com, fashionabletide.com, fashiondevotee.tumblr.com, bcreative.al, ribbonspearlsanddaisychains.blogspot.com, artculturelanguagesfashion.blogspot.com, vogue.co.uk, stscelebblog.blogspot.com